It is officially 2011! They say what you do on New Years day tell how your year will go, well I spent my New Years with my family. The summer I spent at the Children's Home and losing my grandpa put things in perspective for me. I love my friends and they are a blessing from God, but I realize that while they will come and go, my family will be with me until the end! I love them!
New Years Eve I roasted hot dogs around a bonfire. Hot dogs are not my thing, so I tried some Vegan franks that my Aunt Jane had given me. Considering they were meatless, they were surprisingly GOOD! The burntness made them even better too. Then, I popped fireworks with my brother and dad. Some of those darn things nearly gave me a heart attack... no joke! Fireworks are so pretty though, not one of them are ever the same. After freezing too death doing fireworks, we all came in and watched the ball drop on television. Then, we stayed up and watched a GIANT moon-pie drop too... apparently it's a tradition in Alabama. It was strange, but very interesting to watch.
On New Years Day, my mother and I watched the Rose Parade on television. Those floats are insane! How awesome would it be to make one of those things? It boggles my mind to think that someone could create something as beautiful as those floats are, out of nothing but organic material! It's too freakin' awesome! My mother cooked black eyed peas and cabbage for dinner. We ate them not for luck, but because they are so delicious! I made a cabbage wrap filled with black eyed peas and vegetables... it was so so good! I totally bummed it the rest of the day!
Have you ever realized that when we make resolutions that we are not truly passionate about, it is so hard to achieve them? Today was the first Sunday of 2011. I went to church with my grandma at Longview Missionary Baptist Church. Bro. Nathan preached on the things we should be passionate about in this new year and ways to help us focus our priorities as we make our resolutions.
- Be passionate about life. Jesus Christ died for YOU! He loves you, everyday 24/7! Be passionate about that and His plan for your life. He has a purpose for you... seek His will for your life! It's the best, I promise.
- Be passionate about church... not physically going to church, but BEING THE CHURCH!! We all need to realize the value of church and meditate on the amazingness Christs' bride holds!
- Be passionate about people. To sacrifice ourselves this year and make resolutions that are not about us. This is a small but difficult resolution sometimes. One that I forget or toss on the back burner often. I challenge myself this year to put others first and to see people though "Jesus' eyes" I want to reach out to those that are without, not to fulfill a resolution, but to share the love of Christ with random acts of kindness. I want to be a living expression of Christ love!
God, I pray that You drive my resolutions and You guide my 2011 to future Your kingdom and make Your name known!


No comments:
Post a Comment